Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Q&A- Susannah

Here is the other new addition to the Gribble House Crew! Meet Susannah!


1. What made you want to work at the Gribble House?

Obviously, I have an interest in the paranormal. In addition to that, I’m a huge history nerd, especially in regards to historic crime. The history of the house, the city and the investigation is totally fascinating and I have a specific affinity for the Edwardian era in particular. I've been both a tour guide and a lay paranormal investigator in the past and love doing both, so working here was a perfect combination as far as I was concerned!

2. What do you enjoy most about Gribble so far?

The camaraderie between the guides. No matter what the job, getting along with your coworkers is probably one of the most important things in regards to how you feel about what you’re doing. I’ll fully admit that while I try to be accurate with everything, my natural attitude can be kinda sarcastic, a little goofy, and it’s awesome that that seems to be the general vibe around the staff.

3. What do your friends and family think about you working in a documented haunted building?

My friends think it’s both hilarious and totally fitting. My closest friends have known me almost half my life, so my interest in the paranormal and the ‘tour guide’ industry is something they know about. Although they’re both skeptics, they think it’s awesome I landed this job. My father and brothers think it’s neat…my mother is not convinced there isn't a “man behind the curtain” even though she told me the best ghost story I've ever heard. Shortly after they married my parents moved into a ‘known’ haunted house. One night my mother woke up and saw an old woman sitting on the end of their bed, staring at her. My mother stared back, muttered, “I’ll deal with this s*** in the morning”, and went back to sleep.

4. What is your most memorable experience so far in the building?

Dani and I had a great “conversation” using only the EMF detector and our cell phones. We stumbled on a hotspot and established communication with a male spirit using only the EMF detector by asking the spirit to turn the green light red if our questions had yes answer. He told us he was white, 31 years old, born between 1900-1950. We both recorded the session on our phones and picked up an EVP responding to what we think is Dani asking the spirit how we can make the Q&A sessions less boring for them. The voice is female and either says “Stay” or “Stop”.

5. What experience really made you a believer in the paranormal?

I wouldn’t say there is an experience that would answer that question. I’ve always believed in the paranormal as an abstract…I spent my childhood in hippie-dippy Northern California, went to high school in a town known for its connection to the Spiritualist movement of the early 1900s, and my father is a registered stage magician (yes, there is a register). All that, plus the fact I’m from a deeply Southern family, kinda meant that I never didn’t believe in spirits and such. Ironically, I’m the one person in my family who is totally into parapsychology and yet hasn’t seen anything. Seriously, all my family members have seen ghosts and I’ve only had a couple of auditory experiences and “feelings”. You’d better believe I am jealous as heck.

6. Anything you'd like to add? Just that I’m very happy to be working with the Gribble House!

At some point I’d like to personally investigate the types of spirits who may be hanging around. I am heavily into folkloric research in regards to ghosts/demons/etc. Every culture has their own type of “ghost story” and it’s fascinating to learn why this-that-or-the-other believe in a specific type of spirit, and what the reasoning behind that belief would be.