Friday, March 29, 2013

The Hat

I need to start this story back in November when we were featured in a front page, five page, article in the Savannah Morning News all about the murders and our investigations in the warehouse.  We got a lot of calls and publicity from the article, which really launched us in our first few months of investigations.

Fast forward to a month ago when I received a phone call from a woman, telling us she had seen the article in the paper and wondering about Mr Hunter, specifically.  She asked a question that really raised my interest -- "Do you think Mr Hunter is still in the warehouse?"  I replied in the affirmative, and she told me she had something for us.

After taking her call, I got Garry into contact with her, and he went out one day to visit her.  He came back with this:

A top hat in a beautiful leather box that the woman's grandfather had, then the father had, and now she had.

This is where our story ties in:

When Mr Hunter was accused of the murders and put on trial, his residence was cleared out of its belongings by the woman's father.  The grandfather actually owned the property Mr Hunter was staying in at the time of the murders, and he sent the woman's father to the house to clear it out.  He found the hat amongst his belongings, and, instead of getting rid of it like everything else, he took it with him home.  The grandfather wasn't too please, so he stored the hat in the attic, away from sight, especially when Mr Hunter was eventually convicted.

Years passed, and the hat remained.  The grandfather passed, then the father passed, and the woman eventually came into possession of the hat.  Her father had told her the story of the man who was accused of murdering his wife and two other women, and she had always had an eerie, yet curious, feeling about it whenever she came in contact with it.

The hat had remained, for years, in her attic, untouched for so long she nearly forgot about it, until the Sunday morning she picked up the paper and read our story.  It reminded her of what was tucked away upstairs, and she decided she would see about giving it to us.

However, shortly after our story was in the paper, the woman fell ill and was in and out of the hospital for months, having little time to worry about the hat or our article.  Finally back at home, she decided to finally finish the thought she had months earlier -- to get into contact with us and see about Mr Hunter's hat.

Garry came to her house, met with her, and left with the hat.

Now, we're using it as a trigger object to connect with Mr Hunter and the ladies who were murdered in the house.  We hope that it can help us with our questions about the murders and whether or not Mr Hunter was the one who did it or if he's just the one who got stuck with the blame.