Wednesday, February 13, 2013

"Horror" Films

I personally love horror movies.  Always have, always will.  However, I'm generally disappointed in them.

I don't know if anyone else will agree with me, but I just wish they would end without ending.  Does that make sense?  Really, I'd rather they just stop at some point without the dramatic conclusion that ends up with us finding out exactly what was causing the reason we were on the edge of our seats to begin with.

(By the way, there's lots of spoilers in this post.)


For example, Jeepers Creepers.  I remember watching this movie at a sleepover at my friend Brittani's house back in sixth grade.  We were all lying on the floor, scared to bits, about this crazy man in a creepy truck dumping bodies down a well and going after these two people who saw him do it, until he turned in the bird-man creature.  We all lost it, started laughing, and that was it.  Movie ruined.


The same goes for Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and The Woman in Black, both of which came out last year, and that I saw in theaters, only to be incredibly disappointed by the endings when you saw what the haunting creatures looked like.


"Villain" movies, like the Chucky, Jason, and Mike Myers movies, are the same.  They're almost comical to me.  A guy in a goalie mask?  Really?  That's the best you've got?  Maybe that will scare someone from the South who doesn't even know what hockey is, but not me.


Psychological horror movies are generally great, too, until that last 20 minutes when they decided to sum it up.  Reason being?  They all end the same and generally have to do with the main character being dead (ie The Others/Sixth Sense) or suppressing memories and having a split personality that caused them to do horrible things.  Session 9 is one movie I'd have to exclude from this, though, because it's one of my favorites.


And, we can't forget the whole "Reality Horror" genre that is happening right now.  You know, Paranormal Activity, the 500th remake of Texas Chainsaw (did we really need another?), and all the exorcist ones that have been coming out recently.  We get it, you want to create a low-budget, handheld film that will shock the nation.  Great.  Now shock us with some real plot and something unique, and we can go from there.


Now, one movie that can't parallel any other in terms of real-life scary is Wolf Creek.  Take Texas Chainsaw, multiply it by 1000, and add Australian actors, and you have one messed up movie.  Leave it to the Aussies to really create a twisted film (and quite a few based on a true story films I've seen from Australia have left me a little scarred, so there's something going on down under).

Overall, and I've totally digressed from the original point, I want to call upon all my film-writer friends and everyone out there to come up with an amazing, original script that will completely scare the pants off of me and everyone, yet doesn't disappoint by giving away the plot-twist in an embarrassing way.

Think you guys can do it?

Images Sources
1   |   2   |   3   |   4   |   5   |   6