Friday, January 18, 2013

The Hampton Lillibridge House



I remember when I first visited Savannah, before I moved here, in the spring of 2007.  I was here to check out the Savannah College of Art and Design, where I was set to begin classes that fall.  Naturally, we took an Old Town Trolley tour in order to investigate the city and hear a little about its history.

I couldn't tell you many facts I remember from the tours we took that day, except for that the fountain in Forsyth Park was ordered from a Sear's catalogue and that the Hampton Lillibridge House was ridiculously haunted, so much so the neighbours next door have broken bottles cemented onto the top of the dividing gatewall between the two houses in order to keep the spirits from passing over (an old Gullah tradition, I believe).

Probably the due fact it had that interesting of a haunted history made it stick in my mind.  More so because of the bottles, since I had never heard of that.

Later on, when I was working at Old Town Trolley (funny how life foreshadows itself), I heard more and more about the house from the different conductors that worked for the company.  From what they told me, I learned it was reportedly haunted by a young sailor who had hanged himself in the upstairs bedroom, but other spirits, a man in a suit and a woman in period clothing, were often seen, as well.

And then comes the bit with Jim Williams.  You guys all know him, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  Kevin Spacey played him.  Williams was renovating the house and heard disembodied footsteps ahead after the workers had left and had one worker become "possessed"  by a spirit, finding him lying facedown on the bedroom floor upstairs, completely shaken up.

In the sixties, an exorcism was performed on the house.  To no avail, as the spirits still continued to run amuck and scare the occupants of the house.

It was put on the market a few years ago for 2.8 million dollar.  Quite a price to share the house with uninvited guests, don't you think.

Located at 507 East St Julian Street, Savannah, GA 31401.

Image Sources
1   |   2   |   3